What’s your understanding of the word “Meditation”? Do you consider it a physical practice leading to mental gains? Well, that’s one way to take it. However, meditation is much more than what you expect. It’s a peace of mind, an escape from anxiety, a haven for the soul. Meditation is done for the wellbeing of your mind enhancing your subconscious onto great extents.
Do you ever get exhausted from the worldly shizzle and demand some alone time? Meditating will take you to your happy place. You don’t require extensive research or substantial physical excursions to meditate. It’s a relatively straightforward process, and literally, anyone’s eligible to meditate. In case you’re new to meditation, I’ll assist you through the process with the help of this beginner’s guide.
What Is Meditation?
Meditation is the best mental exercise out there. With little effort, you can experience significant benefits. Several different meditation techniques are available to reach various mental states. Overall, meditation is a practice to boost your focus, calmness, and peacefulness.
4 Brilliant Benefits of Meditation
Are you wondering what meditation can do for you? Here’s a list of a few of the significant benefits meditation can bring for your mind and soul.
- Maintains General Wellness: A survey was conducted questioning meditators for their main reason for practicing. Most of them indicated their main reason to be general wellbeing. These opinions were further enforced by research on the topic.
- Enlightens Mood: Are you often feeling down because of daily issues? Try meditating to make yourself feel better. Meditation has a direct impact on your mental stability. Moreover, A study in Spain made certain of the firm link between meditation and happiness.
- Improves Memory: Just another reason to begin meditation as soon as possible. Meditate regularly, and you won’t have a right to worry about memory loss issues as you grow old. Buddhist monks are probably the best example of this. Longitudinal studies have shown how this regular practice affects their memory.
- Cures Depression Issues: If you’ve been a victim of depression and can’t find a cure for yourself, don’t worry. You just haven’t tried meditating yet. Meditation has been known for several years to cure depression and anxiety issues. An article by the American Psychological Association demonstrated how regular meditation rectifies depression. Start meditation right now, and you’ll return to your healthy life in no time.
Are you someone who’s just now made aware of the importance of meditation? Perhaps you’re a newbie, and you realized that you haven’t been following the precise procedure? There is no need to worry. I can guide you through the process. Let’s dive straight in!
What Do I Need To Meditate About?
Honestly, there isn’t much you need to gather to practice meditation. The first and foremost necessity is a few minutes out of your busy schedule. Meditation can be done at any time of the day; however, it will be preferable to practice during early morning hours — not a necessity, but a perk. Secondly, you need a timer to time yourself. Your phone timer could be perfect for this task. Thirdly, you need yourself to be free of any distracting thoughts. Make sure there is no one near you to distract you or diverge you off the process. Moreover, a dedicated meditation space with meditation cushions and a zen-like meditation chime would be great.
That’s all you need to start meditating, so good luck!
But how should it be the first time ?
How Do I Meditate For The First Time?
Once you’re in a quiet place and gathered all necessities, you are free to start meditating. Now, follow the listed steps:
- Make sure you’re comfortable. Don’t stick yourself in any compact area. This is vital because you’ll need to maintain this sitting position for the entire process with little movements.
- On your mobile phone, set a timer for 5 minutes and then close your eyes.
- Now, start taking deep breaths and try to concentrate on yourself breathing. If you focus close enough, you’ll be able to hear yourself breathing. Continue taking deep breaths and feel your chest rising during each inhalation.
- You must be able to forget about any side thoughts and concentrate your undivided focus on your breaths. Continue this until the timer goes off.
As you become more experienced with every passing day, try to extend your intervals gradually. Start with 5 and upgrade to 10 a week later. Go to 15 when you feel like you feel ready for it.
2 Best Meditation Techniques for Beginners
1. Breathing Meditation
If you’re looking for the most suitable meditation technique, you’re in the best place. The method that you read above is the most straightforward meditation technique and is highly suggested for beginners. This technique is referred to as “Breathing Meditation.” If you want a good start with meditation, you should start with this technique.
2. Mindful Meditation
Mindful meditation is another famous method of meditation. It’s somewhat similar to the breathing meditation. It starts with breathing, but then you need to feel the other various sensations in your body. These may include smell, skin sensation, and others. This technique is undergone to become aware and observe. Mindful meditation and breathing meditation both have tremendous benefits on your mental health.
Although these two techniques might be perfect options for you, feel free to study other meditating techniques and search for the best suits you.
Don’t waste your precious time. Be productive, and make sure you get something positive out of this time. Don’t let your efforts go to waste. With that said, don’t hesitate to try meditation for yourself. You’ll be witnessing the effects kick in under a week.
Meditation has been proved a perfect decision for people with mental weakness, depression, or anxiety issues, memory issues, or just any person in general who wants to observe a noticeable improvement in his mental health. Meditate regularly, and you won’t be having any complaints.
Check out more of our content below:
- 15 Self Development Skills Most Careers Require
- 10 Practical Ways to Create Your Self Development Plan
- What Is Mental Health and Why It’s Important
- 5 Best Ways to Cure Depression Naturally
- Instant Self-Soothing Techniques to Relieve Stress and Anxiety
- How to Build Self-Worth & Start Believing In Yourself Again
- How to Improve Self-Regulation in 7 Minute
- 13 Tips on Making a Deeper Connection with People
I hope this article answered all your queries about meditation. However, if you’re looking for more guidance, be sure to share your opinions in the comment section below.